Wednesday, October 6, 2010

National PA Week: Allison Lynn and Renee Hunter, RIAO

It's National Physician Assistant Week, and we're celebrating our dedicated physician assistants at LifeBridge Health by having them share their stories .


Working at the Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics
by Allison Lynn and Renee Hunter, RIAO

Allison Lynn, PA-C, International Center for Limb Lengthening: I've been a PA since 2002, and worked at the Rubin Institute for Advanced Orthopedics since 2007. There are many aspects of my job at the RIAO that I enjoy. I have the chance to work with so many different people from all over the United States and overseas. We monitor our kids throughout their childhood and have a chance to be a part of their lives and watch them grow up. Because of the unique aspect of deformity correction, the entire family is involved in the process.

Treatment frequently requires a family to move to Baltimore for weeks to months. Patients and their families are away from their own support network of family and friends going through a difficult and painful process. Therefore, we have a rare opportunity to be a part of our patients’ lives not found in other fields of medicine. This week we had a teenager whom after 25-plus surgeries came for one of his final post-operation visits. He now has two feet on the floor with equal limb lengths, walking on his own without assistance, and without a limp. He is off to college this year and wants to be a PA. That's what makes the job rewarding.

Renee Hunter, PA-C, International Center for Limb Lengthening: I've been a PA since 2006, which is when I began working at the RIAO. As my first job out of college, I didn’t really know what to expect. I have seen a lot of conditions and deformities of the bone that, without working here, I would have never heard of, let alone, see. Seeing how well our patients, both pediatric and adult, adapt and deal with these conditions has been an eye-opening experience. I love the fact that I get to work with patients from here and abroad – it makes each day unique and there is never a dull moment. Overall, this job has provided me with a great working environment, staff, a wonderful set of patients and a continuing learning experience.

Are you interested in working with Renee or Allison? Check out our open positions at LifeJobs.

No comments: