Monday, July 5, 2010

Meet Our Save-A-Limb Riders!

Editor's Note: We've asked two former LifeBridge Health orthopedic patients to do the Save-A-Limb bike ride in October. As they train, they'll be sharing their experiences here on the LifeBridge Health blog. Today, meet rider Randy Reisfeld!

A 30- or 60-mile bike ride ... What, am I crazy? Well, as a divorced mom with three teenagers, I know crazy is in my vocabulary!

Hi. My name is Randy, and I am going to tell you a bit about myself, and why I want to train for the Save-A-Limb bike ride.

First, as an occupational therapist here at Sinai, I know the benefits of such a great cause as this. Though I spend most of my work time in the Jennifer Gandel Kachura Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, I know many of the therapists who work with pediatric and adult clients that have had orthopedic surgeries or therapy. Independence in daily living skills and optimizing functional skills are goals of occupational therapy. Even though I am working with tiny babies, I am helping them achieve the highest level of function possible so that they can continue to develop those skills needed for independence down the road. The Rubin Institute of Advanced Orthopedics provides a resource to clients that have disruption in their functional skills, and this event will raise money for those that are unable to access the care.

Secondly, on a more personal note, I have experienced the disruption in my own functional skills quite a few times over the past three years. In February 2008, I underwent a 3-level lumbar fusion here at Sinai. I spent six days in the hospital, and three months at home, recuperating.

One month after finally getting back to work full time, I had a crazy fall, and fractured my right arm, again requiring surgery, and rehabilitation. More recently, I have been dealing with daily migraine headaches.

All of these things impacted my ability to function, whether short or long-term. I turned 50 this year, and I want to be healthy, active and fit for my next 50 years. I know this can happen, and my goal is to complete the 30-mile bike ride to prove to myself, and to others that age is just a number.

I will be sharing my training experiences here, and maybe motivate others to attempt to do something that might seem out of your reach or comfort zone. It's all for a great cause!
-Randy Reisfeld

No comments: